Vaughn was established in the early 20th century as a Southern Pacific Railroad town. The town’s importance grew when a second railroad, the Eastern Railway of New Mexico (an Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line from Belen to Clovis), was completed in 1907 with Vaughn as a division point. A large two-story depot, a roundhouse, and a Harvey House hotel were constructed shortly thereafter. Vaughn was incorporated in 1919 and in 1920 had a population of 888 according to the U.S. census.
The Guadalupe County Sheriff’s Department, New Mexico Rangers, the New Mexico State Police and Motor Transportation Police and the Vaughn Police Department (presently a one-man agency) all presently patrol the town, which, according to the United States Homeland Security, is a known drug smuggling route.
– Source: Wikipedia