LAYERED STRAWBERRY CAKE
- 1 (15-1/4-ounce) package butter recipe golden cake mix
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed, beat cake mix, buttermilk, butter, and eggs until cake mix is moistened. Beat at medium speed 4 minutes. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans. Brush top of each layer with 2 tablespoons preserves. Cool completely on wire racks.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat remaining preserves with whipping cream and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form.
Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Arrange half the strawberries over layer; top with half of whipped cream mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining layer, strawberries, and whipped cream mixture. Garnish with extra strawberries, if desired.